Missing MJ

Posted by Noel R.N. at Friday, October 30, 2009

Friday, October 30, 2009


Finally saw the much-awaited posthumous rehearsal concert documentary of Michael Jackson, 'This Is It'.

What could have been the 50 "unprecedented sold-out concerts" at the O2 Arena in London was turned into this documentary film after the untimely death of the King of Pop. 'This Is It' could have been MJ's final curtain call in the music scene and the film caught a glimpse of how magical it would have been.

I practically grew up listening to MJ's songs. From the time I heard 'Ben' while watching the movie with the same title on our Sony Betamax, to music videos shown on Video Hit Parade to the dawning of MTV where I have seen 'Billie Jean' 'Beat It', 'Thriller' among many other hits, I am just bewildered by his talent. I didn't even care about those accusations hurled against him. It just outweighed what MJ accomplished. Still, MJ is just AMAZING.

As I said, the documentary was just a glimpse of THE concert. Though MJ tried to save his voice and also his energy when he danced in the dress rehearsals, one could still witness the magic that MJ casts on his fans. Just as my brothers were when they saw him perform live in Manila in 1996. My brother Eric described it as if 'a god coming down from heaven' and right there, he knew the reason why MJ's fans all over the world cry when they see him perform.

But what was astounding about this documentary was MJ's passion for his craft. He knew his songs very well even into the minute detail of a note, a lyric or a vocal effectation that he wanted. It was as if his passion for the work that he did ran into his veins like air that is life-sustaining. 'This Is It' clearly showed this passion and the more that I revered MJ. The music and the man that he was.

If 'This Is It' is a celebration of MJ's passion for his work, it is also with deep sadness that I watched this film. 'Man in the Mirror' is my ultimate favorite MJ song because of its universal message. And MJ always performed this song at the end of his concerts. When the few strains of the notes were played in the movie, I knew it was 'Man in the Mirror' and I knew that the concert/film was about to end. I can't help but feel sad that I won't be able to see another version of MJ singing that song ever again after this film.

I sorely miss Michael Jackson but whenever I listen to his songs, I just close my eyes and the King of Pop lives.

0 comments:

Generated image