What should Lea sing in her concert?

Posted by Noel R.N. at Friday, September 11, 2009

Friday, September 11, 2009


Internationally acclaimed artist Lea Salonga will be perfoming a two-night concert entitled, "Lea Salonga... Your Songs" at the Philippine International Convention Center (PICC) on December 11 and 12, 2009.

This concert will be different from the shows that she did because she's dedicating this show for her fans. Lea will be taking in suggestions as to what she's going to sing for the concert.

I have successfully submitted a couple of songs already through her concert site which is www.leayoursongs.com. but some can't get through. So I'd like to add a little more before the deadline on September 30.

But before I continue, I'd like to digress: In ala-AA (Alcoholics Anonymous) tone I admit, "I am a Lea Salonga fan."

I believe I may be understating myself but after years in hiatus as a fan. I think can live with that.

I have seen Lea perform in her concerts and shows here in the Philippines and she never fails to bewilder with her singing prowess and "ethereal" presence. Her vocation towards excellence and that mediocrity is not the standard is a statement that I share with and has inspired me to do in my tasks.

It was in 2002 that I last saw Lea perform in the David Auburn play, "proof". My friends at the alt.fan.lea-salonga (AFLS) newsgroup, also known as The Crew, and I watched the final performance. Just as Lea and the cast took their final curtain call, we all stood up and much to Lea's surprise that we were all seated together in the front row. Of course, we had our pictures taken with Lea and our programmes signed by the cast. So that was the last time I ever saw Lea again.

I never got the chance to see Lea perform in her recent concerts because she sang the same old stuff that she'd sing. "Napanood ko na 'yun eh (I've already seen that)," I'd tell my AFLS friends when they informed me about an upcoming concert.

So with the news that Lea will be taking in song suggestions for the December concert, I think this is, again, a breath of fresh air or even a digression.

The "Your Songs" concert poster is reminiscent from scenes in those bars where the lead singer of the band would get song suggestions from the audience. Some requests were written in table napkins and would pass it on to the waiter and the lead singer would sing their requests. The kind where after a stressful day at work and you hang out with your friends and listen to music that reminds you of certain occasions and experiences. More like listening to the soundtrack of your life.

Couple of years back, my college friends and I went to this bar along Timog Avenue and the band 'U-Turn' performed that evening. Surprisingly, one of the band members of 'U-Turn' is now a fast rising solo artist and a special guest for Lea's concert. He's the crooner Richard Poon.

'Nuff of the digression, so here are my two cents on what should Lea sing for her concert:

1] "Man in the Mirror" by Michael Jackson

Lea is a huge fan of MJ. She worships Michael's artistry and she just loves MJ. FYI, Glen Ballard, composer of "Man in the Mirror" was the album producer of Lea's US album.

I love the Tuck Andress version of "Man in the Mirror." I would be delighted to see an acoustic version of this my ultimate MJ favorite song.

2.] "Why" by Avril Lavigne

I heard this song over my cousin's car one evening when she suggested that this would be a nice song that Lea could sing for her concert. I think she's right.

3.] "Fallin' For You" and
4.] "Realize" by Colbie Caillat
It's an easy-to-listen, relaxing kind of music and Lea's voice could pull out a great performance.

5.] "I'd Still Say Yes" by Klymaxx and
6.] "Til They Take My Heart Away" by Claire Marlo

The Ninas and Kylas have sang these songs but I know Lea could squeeze in her own unique rendition.

7.] Swing Out Sister (SOS) medley

I love this group and their jazzy-reggae music. If Lea is thinking of an 80s/90s medley in her concert, this one should be included.

8.] ABBA medley

No need for an explanation. Hehehe. But wait, I'm sure Lea and her guest, Ai-Ai delas Alas can bring the house down with this medley.

8.] "Liwanag sa Dilim" by Rivermaya
and 9.] "Paglisan" by Cookie Chua

The former speaks of hope that any adversities can be conquered. "Kaya mo to! Tulad ng isang tanglaw sa gitna ng bagyo" says the lyrics.

The latter is just a classic and I know Lea's clear-as-a-bell voice would give justice that this song surely deserves.

10.] "Broken Vow" by Josh Groban/Lara Fabian and
11.] "Separate Lives" by Phil Collins/Marilyn Martin

A good friend suggested that Lea and Richard Poon should sing these lovely duet songs.


Just as Lea's "Your Songs" concert is a digression, this will also be a personal digression and returning to what I was back then, still a Lea Salonga fan.

See you at the concert.


---

Noel is the creator and webmaster of 'The Ms. Lea Salonga Web Site' from 1999 to 2002. His site was considered as the #1 Music Artist Site by the Web Magazine Philippines in 2000 and a finalist for the Philippine Web Awards - Celebrity category in 1999 and 2000.

He hopes to meet his AFLS newsgroup friends during the concert and head to the backstage to meet and greet Lea just like in the old days.



1 comments:

chroniclesofrico said...

Nakaka-touch naman itong post na ito! - Bonger

Generated image