Europe in my mind

Posted by Noel R.N. at Sunday, September 13, 2009

Sunday, September 13, 2009


If Maur Aquino, Ninoy's sister, had Tita Cory as her "BFF" (best friend forever), I have my "BFF" too.

Owen and I were classmates in UP and little did we know that we live in the same province. We didn't hang out much together as we only shared general education subjects. Years passed, he transferred to Diliman and finished Architecture and graduated Cum Laude. While I struggled and slacked my years in college, went from Biology major and finished Communication Arts and then moved on to finish another degree which was Nursing and now a registered nurse.

Our paths crossed again in 2003 and since then we shared the same passion for traveling. And yes, we traveled the Philippines on a shoestring budget. From the mountains of Sagada to the pristine beaches of Panglao and Boracay to the mango haven of Guimaras and the sugar plantations of Bacolod and the list goes on, Owen and I were like contestants in the Amazing Race. Thanks to the 'Lonely Planet' books we bought at the previously-owned section at the National Bookstore Superbranch in Cubao

He with the logical mind while I was driven by impulse. I was the talker, he was the thinker. I thought we'd never survive a sojourn but after years of traveling, rolls of films and megabytes of digital photos, and visa stamps, we sure did.

But then he left the country in May 2006 for greener pastures and his passion for traveling lives on as it was his only way of dealing with homesickness. From the trips in the country and in Southeast Asia, he has gone to the dunes of Iran, the sand temples of Petra, Jordan, to the gateway of Asia and Europe which is Turkey, to the majestic Taj Mahal in India and the ancient cities of Luxor and Cairo in Egypt.

Last Monday, Owen surprised me with good news that he's going to what we consider was the Holy Grail of Backpacking which is Europe. He will be leaving on a 6-day whirlwind trip that would take him to the cities of Amsterdam, Barcelona, Brussels, Cologne, Paris, Zurich, Vienna and Geneva. I just can't imagine the adrenaline rush he would go through just to catch his plane and train ride from one country to another. But he's an adventurer and I know with his Lonely Planet in hand and his determination, he'll be able to pull through.

He just sent me his full itinerary including detailed directions, estimated expenses for the transportation, museum fees, among others. I am just surprised that he failed to include the weather forecasts which he always did in our past trips.

I envy Owen because of his courage to forge his lifelong dream to visit Europe. Just as we thought that Europe was just a sight to behold in books and on the internet. But in just a few days, he'll be able to breathe, eat and drink Europe.

I hope someday I'll be able to do live my dream but for now, I hope Owen will soon write his travel journal so I can get pointers from him when I turn my Europe in my mind into a reality.

Photo by Hankita Heritage from www.deviantart.com

0 comments:

Generated image