Willy Wonka at UP-PGH?

Posted by Noel R.N. at Monday, September 08, 2008

Monday, September 8, 2008

Woke up really early this morning at 4 to get ready to queue for the submission of staff nurse requirements at the Department of Nursing Research and Development (DNRD) office of the University of the Philippines-Philippine General Hospital (UP-PGH).


This was my second time to line up for the designated date of submission since I didn't make it to the 60 slots for applicants in March 22, 2008 because I came there late. So this morning, I got there really early. The sun hasn't come out yet as it was still dark. Time checked in: 5:15 A.M.


Following the advice of my friends, I came in straight to the PGH lobby, passed the security guards then to the second floor where the DNRD office is located without any hitch. I planned to bring my brown envelope with my requirements only but I thought I would appear conspicuous as an applicant to the prying eyes of the lobby guards so I decided to bring my bag. So when I got to the DNRD office, there were only 5 applicants. I learned that they came in from the ER of the hospital since the lobby guards were stalling applicants from coming in. So we waited for few minutes until one of the guards told us to leave the DNRD premises and go to the lobby where other applicants were waiting. But we didn't budge. We just scrammed and then returned to our posts.

At around 5:30 A.M., a couple of applicants joined us at our posts and they told us that there was a list at the lobby where applicants were asked to log in their names. But we were hesitant to go to the lobby because we may not be able to return to our posts if the list prepared by the guards will not be honored by the DNRD office. Fifteen minutes later, my former classmate and friend, J, came in and saw me. I found out that one of the applicants was one of their trainees, E. So J told us to join her at their unit if the guards continue to bother us.

So we went in to J's unit and talked with the other nurses who were curious of the growing crowd at the lobby. We told them that those people were nurse applicants, too and that there was a list floating around in the lobby for these applicants. They told us that we should remain at our posts at the DNRD office since it has been the practice that whoever is in the line gets the slot. But E was still bothered about getting our names written on the list so she got my ID and have our names listed. When E got back, she said we got numbers 66 and 67. Darn! They will only get 65 new applicants for the Nursing Proficiency Exam. But she said that there were other retakers who were listed, so we might get in.

7:35 A.M.: We went to our post at the DNRD office and saw about a dozen applicants waiting for the office to open. A few minutes later, one of the nurse officers, let's call her Nurse M blurted out and said, "Sino ba masusunod, silang nasa baba or kami dito sa office?" (Who should be the one calling the shots, those people at the lobby or us?) Nurse M. assured us that they will talk to the Nursing Service Office about the situation.

7:46 A.M.: Chief Nurse Ms. T came in to the office. A few minutes later, Nurse M went out of the DNRD office and told us that after a meeting with the Security Officers and the Chief Nurse, DNRD will have to honor the list in the lobby. Disappointed, we went down the lobby and saw Nurse R calling out the names of applicants from the list and awarding them numbers that seemed like to me, Willy Wonka's Golden Ticket. Methink, I hauled myself out of bed for nothing?

8:15 A.M.
Nurse R: Dela Cruz, Rosario
Nurse R: First time applicant or retaker?
Applicant: First time applicant
Nurse R: (Gives a piece of paper with number 46)

E told me that it was number 55 on the list.

Nurse R: Amiro, Jay
Nurse R: First time applicant or retaker?
Applicant: Retaker
Nurse R: (Hands out a piece of paper with number 5)

Nurse R: Cenon, Christopher?
Nurse R: First time applicant or retaker?

Number 57, 58, 59... on the list
Nurse R hands a piece of paper for retakers and first time applicants

Nurse R: Tan, Kristina... Tan, Kristina?
(Nobody answered...going once, going twice...)
Nurse R calls on another name.

Number 65 on the list...Yey! We're getting close, I thought
Number 66 on the list. It was E. Nurse R gave her a piece paper with number 55.


And yes, I was the next on the list and Nurse R called my name and I came forward. She asked, "First time applicant or retaker?"

"First time applicant, Ma'am," I answered. Then Nurse R gave me the "Golden Ticket" No. 56. Wohoooo!!!

So E and I hurriedly went up to the DNRD office and saw the 54 other applicants who were ready to submit their requirements. We waited in line again. Of course this is U.P. or the University of Pila (queue) after all.

10:15 A.M.: Finally, I was able to submit my requirements, paid the P150 exam fee, and got my exam permit.

I went out of the UP-PGH premises with the scorching heat of the sun and noxious pollution of Taft Avenue blowing into my face. I came out really exhausted yet happy because I got my "Golden Ticket."

But hey, it doesn't stop there. The saga continues as I take my exam on Thursday. Whew!

0 comments:

Generated image