Redux: SBC vs. Letran

Posted by Noel R.N. at Monday, September 08, 2008

Monday, September 8, 2008

I woke up this morning with an SMS from my Letran batchmate and friend JP Soriano of GMA-7, "Ei, lets watch letran beda game sa sept. 10 =)"

"Oh no! Not again!" I quipped.

Almost a year ago, I came to watch the penultimate final game series between San Beda and Letran with Jaime, Carmela and JP. We watched at the patron side and witnessed how the Red Lions devoured the Letran Knights off its feet. It was such a disappointing game.

Soon as Letran's hymn was played, we held our fists high in the air and tried to sing the hymn which I forgot what the song meant because it was in Spanish. Soon after, the Letran spectators began leaving the bleachers when San Beda played that all-familiar hymn which resonated across the coliseum.

I told my friends, I just have to watch this... NO, I have to sing this!

How can I forget that Maramba-Roco composition when I've been singing it all my preschool, grade school and high school lives? The Bedan Hymn which has been embedded in my mind at the same time when I learned to memorize 'Lupang Hinirang.'

My Letran friends obliged as they knew that I was a mongrel of both schools. I couldn't resist clapping or rooting for Beda when the games were on because they knew I was a Bedista.

As we left the Big Dome, I met my batchmates and friends from San Beda and exchanged high-fives because we won. Not until my high school friend Teejay spilled that I was a "balimbing" or turncoat because I was also a Letranista. Yes, you may call me a turncoat but I've been a Bedista since birth along with my brothers and cousins.

I may have spent one of the best times of my college lives (plural form) in Letran but I won't allow my being a Bedista to be disparaged just like that.

And so, on Wednesday, I will be watching the Letran-San Beda face off once again and I will be rooting for both teams again.

Win or lose, but one thing is for sure, I'd still be going home happy.

0 comments:

Generated image